Need some convincing about why cloth pads are the best? We’ve got you covered.
Often we focus on the less pleasant parts of our menstrual cycles. But a period can be a reminder to slow down and honor our bodies. One of the best ways we can take care of ourselves is by choosing safer self-care products. Party in My Pants is committed to making products that are good for you and the environment. Here are nine compelling reasons to switch to cloth.
1. Cloth menstrual pads are healthier for your body. Conventional disposables tend to contain artificial fragrances, chemical gels, residues, and adhesives. They are typically made with a combination of plastics, cotton, synthetic fibers, and wood pulp that contain pesticides, herbicides, and other harmful chemicals like dioxin.
That’s not to mention the often sticky, or scratchy texture that you then place near a particularly sensitive part of your body. PiMP cloth menstrual pads are made from buttery-soft cotton that is more absorbent than disposables and won’t irritate delicate skin.
2. They are good for the planet. If the health reasons don’t convince you, perhaps the environmental impact alone will. PiMP cloth menstrual pads can be washed over and over and can last over five years with proper care—saving 11,000 waste products PER MENSTRUATOR. Why throw money away month after month on disposable garbage that is only destined for landfills? There are so many sizes and patterns. There is something for everyone! You can start building a reusable stash that is part of a zero-waste solution.
3. They are super comfy. Do you know that sweaty, itchy feeling of sitting in a disposable pad? The synthetic, plastic webbing that used to pluck the hair from your nether region will be a distant memory when you try a cloth menstrual pad. Party in My Pants pads are super-soft, thin cotton fabric, held in place with small nickel-free metal snaps, and a waterproof nylon backing.
4. They are wallet friendly. From your first period until menopause, you can expect to spend over $3,000 (some as much as $20,000) on disposable menstrual products. Double that if you want organics! That’s money better spent somewhere else, like backpacking in Peru, a down payment on a new car, or braces!
At first glance, you might have some sticker shock when you see the price of cloth menstrual pads. That’s why we created this nifty calculator that figures out your lifetime savings down to the penny. Now, compare those amounts to the cost of cloth and it suddenly looks a lot more doable. We also have bundles (codes found on all product pages) that help your cash go even further, and don’t miss our surprise sales!
5. Cloth menstrual pads are discreet. How many times have you been in the bathroom trying to change your pad or tampon and simultaneously silence the *deafening* rustling of wrappers or adhesive? The cottony tops of PiMP cloth menstrual pads have no plastic or synthetics, so they’re practically noise-free! And PiMP pads are thin! So thin that you never have to worry about mysterious lumps or bumps.
6. You are prepared for every cycle. It is comforting knowing that your cloth menstrual pads are waiting in your drawer. You don’t need to drive to a store, face crowds of people, or wait in line. They are easy to transport in a purse, backpack, or gym bag. You’ll never reach for a box only to find it empty again! In fact, you are more likely to buy new pads or patterns BEFORE the previous pads wear out from old age, because they are so lovely and irresistable.
7. They are easier to clean than you think! PiMP cloth menstrual pads can be washed all at once at the end of your cycle, or occasionally during your cycle—whatever is the most convenient for you. When you finish using a pad, simply fold it and snap it. Then unsnap it to wash it. A regular wash cycle and a low or medium dry cycle is all you need.
You’d be surprised how colorfast and stain-resistant most of our pads are, but if you are concerned about staining, choose red, brown, or dark fabrics. We recommend Oxo-Brite for washing. It’s a miracle worker for stubborn stains.
8. They are cute AND empowering. When was the last time a disposable gave you over 65 colorful options to express your personality and positivity? Conventional menstrual products are designed to be thrown away. Think about it. We’ve told generations of menstruators to use waste products, and it has influenced how we feel about our cycles and our bodies. Cloth is a way of celebrating your body and menstrual cycle while protecting the planet.
9. You are supporting an independent, woman-run business. Party in My Pants founder, Luci Daum, started sewing when she was three years old and couldn’t even read a pattern. She became an entrepreneur at just eight and was giving away her homemade pads to family and friends in the ‘90s. In Luci’s own words, “Eventually they collectively pressured me into making them available to stores.”
Today, the team has 15 people and growing! Each high-quality cotton pad is still made with the same love and dedication as when Luci would give them away to her friends and family. You can try one yourself for free with our First Liner Free program!